Saturday, February 27, 2010

Fine Young Cannibals - B-sides

Now I know I will probably take a lot of heat for this one. I mean who listens to the Fine Young Cannibals in 2010? The band has all but dissolved, the guys don't hang out and play anymore - the greatest hits can only re-package "She Drives Me Crazy" so many times and possibly the greatest things these guys have done - are all in the past. Andy Cox and David Steele formerly of The Beat, are solid musicians with a lot to add to the bubbling pie of music, which they're doing now in the form of producing and sourcing talent. Roland Gift is acting, eating and hanging out in bars (I guess). The rub is this: that many of the best past fads and artists seem to cycle back, in some form or antoher. I guess our memories, demand it. Hence why I see Charro on VH1 reality shows, Mick Jones has a second-life now with his band Carbon Silicon, and comeback tours are the norm. If you lived through the eighties, you know how strong this band was and how radio literally "killed this radio star". Overplayed, over produced - the band didn't zig, when the industry zagged. We're left with a lot of bargain bin 12" mixes (another 80's casualty - when are those coming back?) and our memories of hits like "Good Thing" and "Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've)". Well, maybe we can settle for a remake of the classic Something Wild movie.


Below, these songs you won't find on either of their two albums. In fact, a different mix of the song "Love For Sale" was later released on the charity album Red Hot + Blue. They're all here for you to sample, for those wishers and die-hard fans alike.

Fine Young Cannibals - B-sides
01.Wade In the Water (B-side of Blue)
02. Motherless Child (B-side of Funny How Love Is)
03. Love For Sale (Cole Porter cover; B-side 12" Blue)
04. Social Security (B-side of Good Thing)
05. You Never Know (B-side of Don't Look Back)
06. Pull the Sucker Off (B-side of She Drives Me Crazy)

Links in Comments

6 comments:

McCrank said...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OMP0HMGJ

eatonc said...

Wow, thanks

black francis said...

Don't feel bad. Don't Look Back is still on my iPod.

McCrank said...

Yeah. I guess it's not front and center (in popularity or in my ipod), but still good music. Been meaning to transcribe from Vinyl a show I have form them live. Never seen it floating around before - so it'd be a good addition. Need to rip it. Interested?

Joe said...

THANK YOU for Social Security. I've been looking for this FOREVER. I had the cassette single in college, and I've been looking for an MP3. You have no idea how happy I am to have this! Thank you!

One of the greatest piano solos ever!

Anonymous said...

These are really great. Thank you. Do you by chance have the remix of Blue?

It was far supperior to the album version. I'm not sure if this was the single version or a special remix. It was longer, and in my case the b-side to the Johnny single on a Canadian pressing. In the UK it was probably on a single of its own.

I've looked for years now (my vinyl's long gone) and can't believe that with all the compilations and re-issues it's never seen the light of day on CD.

It was, IMO one of their best tracks. If you have it, could you give it a post?

Thanks again.