Sunday, January 31, 2010

Ian Mcculloch - Live SPIN Magazine (2009)

I have been a little tough on the latest Echo & The Bunnymen record - The Fountain, which wasa bit to pop for my taste. It is the rare combination of Ian Mcculloch (ABBA) and Will Sargent (Led Zepplin) and their rock history (Doors, Velvet Underground, David Bowie) that make their sound so unique. I really like the stripped down songs all the way to the Burned album from Electrafixion. I really wish these alternative rockers would record something as insane as Zepplin's "The Rain Song", but I fear they are more on track to record something by Natalie Imbruglia or something. A bit light in the pants lately. Either way this acoustic session by Ian Mcculloch, is something of a collectors item already. Four acoustic tracks, played solo (sorry Will the tax man sayeth) at the SPIN Magazine offices in NYC. This recent acoustic set at SPIN's NYC office for staffers and invited friends is a rather stripped down performance of four career-spanning Echo & The Bunnymen cuts absolutely played to perfection. I think the newer tracks "The Fountain" and "I Think I Need It Too" sound better than the over-produced album. McCulloch and Petey Byrne, filling in on guitar, team up to perform two cuts from 2009's The Fountain. SPIN says:

"Without the studio version's soaring electric guitars, "Think I Need It Too" morphed into a lilting, heartfelt come-on, while the album's title track maintained its stately grace.
Then the duo reached back into the archives, slipping into 1980's "Rescue," the first Bunnymen single to reach the U.K. charts, before treating us to their most famous track: "The Killing Moon."

Ian Mcculloch - Live SPIN Magazine (2009)
01. I Think I Need It Too
02. The Fountain
03. Rescue
04. The Killing Moon

Links in Comments

2 comments:

McCrank said...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QSCO69CD

Anonymous said...

thanks, just watched these on youtube will be nice to listen to on the go though