Saturday, April 3, 2010

McCrank's Juke - Rare Motown Mix (2010)

Now you probably don't see this very often, especially at McCrank's Juke - a mix tape of old classic Motown songs. I put this together for my friend in Washington DC, who grew up on The Big Chill and the sounds of Berry Gordy Jr. and his classic Motown review. A kid from the 80's he was very muxh into the old wall-of-sound music, from The Temptations to the soulful R&B of Marvin Gaye. I know that I have seen the legends back in the 80's thanks to him - prior to most of them retiring, passing away, and or simply fading into oblivion. Most of the bands with the original members, including The Four Tops, Temptations, Smokey Robinson, etc. I consider this gift to him, my mix tape - pulled from rarities and sub-releases. Some of the lesser-known songs and other straight out jams. I also rounded out the tape with three inclusions that can't be missed - the additionn of Otis Redding (Atlantic/Stax Records) and the recent neo soul & big band from the UK - The Heavy. Lastly, the man who can bring the Motown soul back, and currently re-creating the original sounds, Raphael Saadiq. Yes, the guy from Tony! Toni! Toné!. You'll notice, the last three inductions aren't Motown artists, but they are a jumping off point for further R&B and neo soul exploration. Some "tip of the hat", if you will, to my friend from DC, who thrives on the 60's sounds. You can find most of these songs on iTunes or from a very cool and classy blog called: Soul-Sides.

McCrank's Juke - Rare Motown Mix (2010)
01. Still Water (Love) - Four Tops
02. Baby Don'tcha Worry - Tammi Terrell
03. Sorry Is A Sorry Word - The Temptations
04. He's My Sonny Boy - The Supremes
05. I've Passed This Way Before - The Temptations
o6. That's The Way Love Is - The Isley Brothers
07. Sad Souvenirs - Four Tops
08. It's Love I Need - Marvin Gaye
09. Home Cookin' - Jr. Walker & The All Stars
10. That's How Strong My Love Is - Otis Redding
11. Love Like That - The Heavy
12. Love That Girl - Raphael Saadiq

Links Above

No comments: